Friday, September 12, 2014

Paths to Follow: Together Intentionally


A Chapter in which we all go on an Expedition

“As soon as he saw the Big Boots, Pooh knew that an Adventure was about to happen…” (Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh, Ch. 8)



I look at new things as an adventure.  Places to go, people to see, things to learn!  Now adventure brings uncertainty and risk at times.  I often wonder why we are so risk adverse.  We forget to look closer and assess the risks and the implications. We assume change is bad and terribly unpleasant-‘unsettling’ says Eeyore).  So many times I find that it is more my uneasiness and less the reality of what might happen that impedes my path.  I set up my own roadblocks when my fears take over. On making friends: What if we have nothing in common?  On taking a stance: What if I step out there and no one joins me?  On new ideas: What if I look stupid?  What if… you fill in your worries…What if I am just plain wrong about this or that? (I know, it happens occasionally)! Sometimes those things do happen, but the results are generally less of a big deal than my fear says it will be.  So what if I am wrong and look stupid on occasion; usually, I am the only one that cares or remembers since it really is an okay thing to be wrong sometimes; it helps me learn. And that is a positive change!

 I wonder why we view change so uneasily.  Things are always changing-even the mundane days are part of moving forward, continuing on… doing the next thing.  The next thing may look just the same as today’s thing or something entirely new.  Adventure, risk, change-sometimes that takes courage. Maybe even strength we don’t think we have.  But we can’t get to step two without step one.  I love this year’s theme for Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS), “Be You, Bravely”.  Stepping out might just be stepping on to the next stone & reaching back to hold a hand as someone follows, or it might be looking ahead to grab the hand in front of us.  People are important, friends are important, relationships are important, Christian community is important (Colossians is a good place to read more on this)! Being brave in friendships can also mean being intentional. Maybe right now you are the one reaching back, another time, you may be reaching ahead-in either place, we are reaching deliberately! We need that friend to balance us when we are unsettled. So we walk bravely together. Sometimes we just don’t see the way clearly and that sister ahead is all we can see. We don’t always know what’s further ahead and the next step uncertain.  But what we do know is the faithfulness of our God; what we do know is grace.  As we do the next thing or meet changes, both smooth going mundane days and challenging and uneven hikes, let us come along side each other and remember that we make our plans-we walk our paths, but the Lord directs our steps (Proverbs 16:9).  As we follow the path ahead toward new adventures, Let’s Live Life Together Intentionally.

“It’s an Expedition.  That’s what an Expedition means.  A long line of everybody.” (Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh, Ch. 8)

Looking forward to getting to know more of you and encouraging you along the paths,
Grace for the day,
Kelli